The Institute of Health Research Pere Virgili (IISPV, in Catalan) has one position for a Graduated/Licensed in nursing to join the Human Nutrition research group, at the Medicine and Health Science Faculty in Reus, which belongs to the Rovira i Virgili University and Pere Virgili Health Research Institute (IISPV in Spanish).
The IISPV coordinates all the health and biomedical research activity taking place in the regions of Tarragona and Terres de l’Ebre (Southern Catalonia). The IISPV was founded in 2005 under the collaborative agreement by the Catalan Institute of Health from Camp de Tarragona and Terres de l’Ebre, the SAGESSA Health Group, the Pere Mata Mental Health Institute and the University Rovira i Virgili (URV). The interdisciplinary and collaborative nature of IISPV’s foundation, has remained our trademark among our scientific community to tackle the bottlenecks in health research in order to improve the quality of life of our community.
This postdoctoral position is linked to SEEDS project executed by Functional Nutrition, Oxidation and Cardiovascular Disease Research Group (NFOC-salut) lidered by Dra. Rosa Solà Alberich. This project is a European project, financed by European Commission, Grant Agreement number: 101006251 – SEEDS – H2020-SwafS-2018-2020 / H2020-SwafS-2020-1.
Adolescents at risk and living in deprived areas have fewer opportunities for out of school activities, informal learning and reduced access to science education. In addition, teenagers seem to have, in general, a lack of interest in Science. Besides, research showed how the social determinants of health, and specifically, deprivation and lower access to health information, have major consequences in terms of chronic diseases. Scientific literacy can be promoted through enhancing health education: health research is well-valued in the society; topics are practical and relevant, and it is important to change unhealthy habits as early as possible; self-leadership and active methods would be key ingredients.
There is a need for evidence and validation of effective interventions for fostering science education and public participation with teenagers and young adults from vulnerable and/or deprived populations to raise their academic outputs, while contributing to improve empowerment in health for this group.
The aim of Science Engagement to Empower Disadvantaged AdoleScents (SEEDS) Consortium is to engage adolescents from deprived neighborhoods in designing interventions that seed an interest in scientific methodologies, promote STEM careers and empower them by enhancing their critical thinking capabilities. SEEDS aims at fostering science literacy and STEM education by raising the health understanding, also pursuing the empowerment of youth in critical thinking skills, self-management and self-care through community-based public engagement, therefore improving effectiveness of health promotion interventions in this population.
The multi-stakeholder participatory intervention merges the dialogue between citizen science and traditional science. Teenagers lead the process; the scientific literacy will be accompanied by a depth health education able to transform their habits, contributing to sustainable behavioural change.
· Revising of best practices, success cases and theorical frameworks for conducting citizen science and co-creation interventions
· Coordinating of face-to-face or virtual meetings with high-schools, families, community settings and younger population.
· Coordinating of the collection of qualitative and quantitative data, and the preparation and revision of questionnaires to assess the principle and secondary variables of the study.
· Coordinating events for the creation of the intervention with young population and stakeholders.
· Preparing training material for the intervention designed.
· Preparing and revising the deliverables of the SEEDS project.
· Coordinating and participating in the implementation of the intervention co-created.
· Preparing and revising the manuscripts and dissemination material related to the project.
· Preparing and revising the study protocol
· Preparing the intervention’s summary implemented in each country.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Application procedure and deadline:
Applicants should submit a full Curriculum Vitae and a cover lettervwith the reference IC21_21 to the
following email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com before June 20th 2021.
Full-time position (40h/week)
Starting date: second half of 2021
Lenght of the contract: Until December 2022
Gross annual salary: 32.000€