Professor Mònica Bulló (ORCID 0000-0002-0218-7046) and Dr. Christopher Papandreou (ORCID 0000-0002-6803-507X), members of the research group in Nutrition and Metabolic Disorders from the Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology at the University Rovira i Virgili and the Pere Virgili Health Institute (IISPV), both located in Tarragona, Spain, are interested in receiving Letters of Interest of potential candidates for the Marie Sklodowska – Curie Postdoctoral Fellowships (MSCA-PF-2022) call. Selected candidates will be supported from our group in writing a successful proposal.
The title of the proposed project: Untangling the link between lifestyle, adiposity, insulin resistance and risk of major chronic diseases through metabolomics.
During the last years, our research group has successfully applied metabolomics on epidemiological research. Our work on nutritional epidemiology has included metabolomics as an important approach to decipher the interactions between diet and health. Applying metabolome wide-association studies we identified metabolite profiles associated with the consumption of foods, dietary patterns, satiety, metabolic conditions (insulin resistance, increased adiposity), and cardiometabolic diseases (type 2 diabetes, heart failure, atrial fibrillation) that contributes to a better understanding of diseases and could provide future targets for nutritional and/or pharmacological treatments. Recently, our interest has expanded to cognitive decline, and dementia/Alzheimer’s disease. We are looking for a researcher to develop his/her skills in the statistical analysis of metabolomics data derived from large datasets including among other studies, the UK Biobank cohort, and preparation of scientific papers related to the project as well as supervision of PhD candidates.
For the Marie Curie call of 2022, we are looking for candidates with experience in:
• Biosciences disciplines such us Biochemistry, Biomedicine, Biology, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology.
• Epidemiology or Biostatistics (a PhD and/or MSc in these fields are compulsory).
• Publishing scientific articles in epidemiology and/or molecular biology related international journals.
• Statistical analysisusing STATA and/or R.
We are looking for talented and innovative young scientists, strongly committed to high quality frontier research and able to add new insights to the existing IISPV core expertise. Only candidates with an outstanding record of research achievements and publications in top-quality journals will be considered.
The IISPV is a biomedical research institute placed in the province of Tarragona (Catalonia, Spain) that combines clinical and basic research in order to accelerate the translation of knowledge to the benefit of patients. The IISPV aims to be a national and international reference centre in biomedical research and translation, at the service of the population, linking the health centres to the community. Founded in 2005, the institute integrates the Hospital Universitari de Tarragona Joan XIII, the Hospital de Tortosa Verge de la Cinta, the Hospital Universitari Sant Joan de Reus, the Hospital Universitari Institut Pere Mata and the University Rovira i Virgili, in order to bring together and manage biomedical research and innovation in the territory. This is an on-site post and the researcher will attend physically to the IISPV facilities on a regular basis.
The IISPV has a high profile among the country’s research institutions and is part of the CERCA institution (Research Centres of Catalonia Institution (I-CERCA)). Furthermore, the research groups enjoy international prestige, belonging to different European
networks and working in close collaboration with researchers around the world.
· Experienced Researchers: In possession of doctoral degree. At the call deadline (14/09/2022), supported researchers must have a maximum of 8 years full time equivalent experience in research, measured from the date that the researcher was in a possession of a doctoral degree and certified by appropriate documents.
· Nationality: Any.
· Mobility: The researcher must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the deadline for submission of proposals (a relaxed rule for CAR and RI).
· Resubmissions: Proposals involving the same recruiting organisation (and for Global Postdoctoral Fellowships also the associated partner hosting the outgoing phase) and individual researcher submitted to the previous call of MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships under Horizon Europe and having received a score of less than 70% should not be resubmitted the following year.
· Must be fluent in English (both written and spoken).
Researchers willing to apply should check that they fulfil the eligibility criteria and then
send an expression of interest, consisting of:
· A detailed Curriculum Vitae.
· A summary presentation of their research proposal.
· A motivation letter (1 page).
Expressions of interest must be submitted to email@example.com (Title of the e-mail “IIPSVMSCA-PF-2022 Prof. Mònica Bulló and Dr. Christopher Papandreou).
Proposals will be pre-selected on the basis of internal evaluation. Candidates will be informed of the results of the pre-selection a week after the deadline (1st June 2022).