The Mycology and Environmental Microbiology Unit has carried out sound research tasks since 1983, internationally valued for the high quality of its scientific output.
The research activity that is developed can be grouped into 4 fundamentals:
• Techniques of isolation and cultivation of filamentous fungi from clinical samples and environmental substrates.
• Microscopic identification of fungi in clinical and environmental sources.
• Epidemiological studies and molecular identification based on the study of ITS and RFLP.
• PCR amplification.
• DNA sequencing.
• Genotypic studies of microorganisms for MLST and DNA-DNA hybridisation.
• Determination of in vitro resistance / sensitivity of fungi to antifungals.
• Establishment of infection models in mice, rabbits and guinea pigs.
• Evaluation of experimental treatments in animal models.
• Determination of serum levels for bioassay of antifungals.
• Diagnostic immunoassay.
• Processing, staining and histological analysis of samples (H & E, GMC, PASS ...).
• Evaluation of microbiological contamination of water.
• Cloning of virulence factors in Aeromonas and Arcobacter.
• Deletion of putative virulence genes.
Unitat de Micologia i Microbiologia Ambiental
Facultat de Medicina
Carrer Sant Llorenç 21, 43201 Reus
Tel. central: 977759345 / Fax: 977759322
Tel. Laboratory: 977759341
Center for R&D&I in Nutrition and Health
Avda. de la Universitat, 1 - Second floor
E-43204 Reus (Tarragona)
Tel. Work+34 977 75 93 94 http://www.iispv.cathttp://www.iispv.cat